Thursday, 6 March 2014

How Does Your Garden Grow?

This week, I ventured out into our garden to face our neglected garden.
I didn't have high hopes from what I could see from the kitchen, but was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't quite as bad as I thought.
Especially when you zoom in on the details.
My fatsia is hardcore. This was a "test" fastia and I love it. Planning where else I can put more fatsias now... 

How many years he has been in our gardens and he still makes me jump.

The lady still hasn't been claimed.

Sunshine and fuzzies.


I find it odd seeing the daisies at this time of year.


It felt inappropriate to be lifting the skirts of the hellebores to peek beneath.


Neglected.

Neglected.


My twisted willow is now towering overhead.

I am pleased with the hardiness of this guy, so trying to plan more of these into a few other places in the garden as well.

A big, fat, bumblebee!

Survived the Winter.
 I heart durable plants.

Our secret garden area is starting to grow!
See the beginning here.

I love how the water sits inside.

I do like a bit of chaotic gardening, but really? The gnome stands watch over this explosion of green. I can see daffs, and marigolds and weeds...but what are those carrot type leafy things?! We must have gotten a bit carried away when we were flinging the seeds here and there.
It might be time to call in the in laws again for their expertise.

The neighbouring tree.

Potions abandoned.

This tough marigold did not relinquish her colour to the winter.



The Japanese Maples look set to start their cycle of beauty all over again. Has it really been so long since the last leaf fell? Where has that time gone?!

Even the ferns were hardy. 
I suppose we did have a mild Winter.

Things haven't changed at the house.
And that's the way I like it.

Alas, the mega pampas grass is in the process of being removed.  I knew they were big, but not that big.  
It was a beautiful monster.
My neighbours were right when they told me that they are difficult to get rid of. I'm not even nearly there and after only 2 years, the stalks are so thick.
The feathers have provided much beauty and are now being used as broom sticks for my little people to ride on. They are shedding everywhere "like snow".

I'm pretty sad to see it go, but this big beauty needs to be in a space of it's own.  A huge open space that needs filling, by a country house somewhere... not just a corner of the drive that I have been parking in it.  
But maybe it will come back, if it really is so hardy...
but for now, it needs to go so that we can get to the fence that needs mending.

I wonder if Annie will bring back some pictures of some gardens in Tanzania!


Mammasaurus and How Does Your Garden Grow?

20 comments:

  1. absolutely beautiful pictures. love the fuzzies in the sunshine. and it looks like spring has reached your garden :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did! But it's a bit chilly again now!

      Delete
  2. gorgeous katie!
    you have lots of colourful flowering plants........love that twisted willow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I'm so glad that it survived the dog bashing into it at a young age. I fixed it with cellotape and hoped for the best!

      Delete
  3. i think you must have the first bumble bee of the year and is that lizard real or real dead or pretend as he looks real dead to me and also made me jump lol #HDYGG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's pretend:-) But he keeps getting moved around and looks so realistic he always catches me off guard.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful photos and so many signs of your garden coming to life again :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the abandoned potions my garden hold similar! #hdygg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love seeing evidence of imaginations at work!

      Delete
  6. Oh wow, what absolutely wonderful pictures once again! It's been raining so hard here, I haven't been outside in days, maybe tomorrow....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope there was a break in the rain for you!

      Delete
  7. Gorgeous photos Katie! What a sturdy marigold. We've had a few dozy bumble bees around our Rosemary. Feels a little early for them really. Great post xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can we really hope that spring is here for good? I so hope so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had hoped so, but it's gotten rather chilly again here!

      Delete
  9. Lovely photos! Not seen any bees yet, still a little chilly! So many pops of colour, your garden is really taking Spring seriouly

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always love your pictures of the unexpected in your garden Katie - the lizard, the little house and things. Our lawn looks very similar to yours - battered and neglected - but it's making a great football pitch

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my these are just the bestest photos - and the nicest crocus shots I've seen this year. That twisted willow is just wow! I am actually at a loss for words (and you know that doesn't happen everyday)
    Sorry about the delay in commenting, I’m back from my trip now and loving reading through all the posts. And as usual – thanks for joining in x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I was lucky with the crocus shot when I got it, I think something has been nibbling it since! I'm looking forward to hearing more about your trip!!!

      Delete

Talk to me!