Wednesday, 5 March 2014

D.E.A.R.

Drop Everything and Read. Music to my ears when I was in school.  I didn't need prompting.  I used to sneak-read novels under my desk during math lessons. Which didn't really help me, but I honestly felt addicted at times.
 The thought of unread books and unlimited time still thrills me.
I do love to indulge in a good session of delving into books and illustrations.
 Let's start with a teaser for my favourite illustration du jour:
Can you guess who it is?
It's Winnie the Witch from Winnie's Dinosaur Day by Valerie Thomas and Korky Paul.
This lady knows how to have a good time. I considered dressing as her from this picture for World Book Day, but I would have to be a bigger blonder version and I just ran out of time to find a cozzie like hers. Maybe next year...
Story. Of. My. Life.

And this. I must try to be remember to try to be as calm and resourceful as Darth here.

I just adore the prettiness of this vintage Disney Cinderella,

and the wholesome goodness that is heavy throughout this tattered Little Golden Book about Birds.


Blueberries For Sal, Robert McCloskey


Vintage American Kitchen Love.

"I'll help you ride tomorrow." Said Jim
Brotherly Love in David's First Bicycle by Rosalie Silver

Heart-string tugging.
The hug scene from Lost and Found by Oliver Jeffers

Beautiful illustrations of America's wildlife in Who Lives Here? 

Outside Over There, Maurice Sendak

The naked crayon.
 The Day The Crayons Quit, Oliver Jeffers and Drew Daywalt

The party poopers in Just Us Women by Jeannette Caines and Pat Cummings

And more fabulousness from this book.
We'll stop at all the roadside markets and buy all the junk we like.

I am currently reading Stormbreaker by Anthony Horowitz with my eight year old who loves the graphic novels of this series.
And Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell with my 9 year old.   
I actually even read and finished 2 books for myself since Christmas!!! Talk about spoiling myself!
(Wonder by R.J.Palacio and Dark Places by Gillian Flynn.)
Happy World Book Day!

1 comment:

Talk to me!