Monday, 23 December 2013

Round Here this Christmas

Awesome Smelly Gingerbread Men 
We got the idea for this from here:
Fabulous activity and 
I love getting a whiff of them every now and then as we pass by.

Construction begins on the Gingerbread house.
I had to make one after seeing this:
I managed to get a couple of cardboard boxes from friends, but handed over to The Handy Hubby after giving him a general idea of what we were after.  Really I was just going to throw some duct tape around, but the roof that I had in mind, was pretty heavy and I didn't want it caving in on any littles.
He went to town.

In Daddy Awe.

Ok- I wanted quite a high roof, because one of my specifications was that it would have to be able to fit me in there as well.  I also thought they might like to stand up in there, but they never do.




All three of them chose to eat their breakfast in there the next day.


Fireplace WITH CHEESY CHRISTMAS TUUUUNES courtesy of Netflix.
Santa's Sack is an old Weetabix box.
Resourceful guy.

Snow land.
Another excuse to hoover.
Or not.

                                                         Paint sample card paper chains.
I had these hanging around for ages, wondering what to do with them.
Ta Da!
They also go well with the colour scheme.
(I say pretending that I had planned that.)

We've been crafting galore.
Handy Hubby will be pleased to have a space to eat on the kitchen table again.

Gingerbread Playdough





Ice age Dino snow globe

Of ALL the crafts that I plan for school events, or home, jam jar decorating is always the most popular.
Sometimes we add a pipe cleaner holder.
Simplest things...

And then, the John Lewis Inspired Tree got decorated.
I love Christmas.
The making, the decorating, the food...
but all that has got nothing on being with loved ones.
I decided that the most important decoration in the house had to be based on that.
We are very fortunate that we have family, but we don't all live nearby.
I collected as many pictures from Christmases past, and had them printed as mini cards at Moo.com.
Although many of them came out darker than I had hoped, I am so pleased with the result.
They are so durable, I know that they are going to last for years.
(I also made them in haste and didn't realize they were double-sided. So all (200) have the same image on the back. Nevermind, it's a nice one) 
I hope that I can add to these over the years.







Super simple. Punch a small hole in the top, pop in a hook. Hang.
And now I've got family all around us, and all the warm, fuzzy memories of Christmases dotted all over the branches.
This tree is in the room where Oma and Opa will sleep when they visit.
I hope they enjoy it.


And some more photos from Christmases past that will be added to the tree one day.
Comparing "where's the baby" pictures.
Above:me
Below: My daughter



Santa and I going for the matching hair and beard thing.


I don't know who Santa was calling a loser, but I was amused.

Wishing you a very Merry Christmas!
Looking forward to seeing you in the New Year!











7 comments:

  1. YAY! I'm so glad you loved them. It looks like the kiddos made some excellent gingerbread men. And OHMYGOODNESS that house is the coolest thing ever!!!!!!! Thank you so much for linking. :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. merry christmas & happy new year!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kate - I love awesome smelly gingerbread men!

    Merry Christmas and the warmest of wishes for 2014.

    Nina x

    ReplyDelete
  4. The house is amazing! Merry Christmas to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just gorgeous stuff! We've taken our decorations down already (I know!) but I have just written 'PAINT WALL BLACK' on the calendar as seeing this post has reminded me what I said I wanted to do!
    Hope that you had a lovely Crimbo x

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow!! you have been busy little crafters!! love the house idea. i would have needed man help too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Genius idea with the cardboard house, I am definitely giving that a try next Christmas! Happy new year x

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!