Thursday, 3 October 2013

How Does Your Garden Grow?

It's been mostly all work and not (as) much play in the garden this week.
 But it's ok.
 Just no trolls.
Sorry!
We got one of my favourite garden tools out this weekend to tackle the monster hedge.

It's good fun and empowering to brandish the hedge trimmer round the bottom, but not so much on the top when balancing on the ladder.  So I refrained from taking a revenge shot of the hubby while he was using the power tools.
(Referring to the Derriere Shot here)
Also, he was wearing his holey diy jogging bottoms and that just would have been too risque.

Turning the climbing frame into a shelter was all their own doing.



All hands on deck.



Bedtime stories in the hedge fort at night.


The very last of this year's apples.

The pampas grass stays for now. They are captivating and I can't stand chopping it and (possibly) re-homing it just yet.


The garden is in that in-between seasons stage and full of hedge to be carted off to the dump, along with corners of abandoned building work debris that I usually turn a blind eye to. But I've been noticing the pile up this week and while I'm feeling a bit lack lustre about my own garden right now, I am so looking forward to a nice cup of tea and a good nose round everyone else's gardens today.
Snoop with me here:

Mammasaurus - How Does Your Garden Grow?

14 comments:

  1. Your hedge fort looks like so much fun, especially at night! Hope you enjoy the last of your apples.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lot of fun, although kind of creepy thinking about all the spiders that were probably in there! All good fun though!

      Delete
  2. that monster hedge takes some real work i am sure!! so cool your littles did something with the hackings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very proud of them because they have made it and remade it and changed the designs getting on together with no bickering at all. For a couple of hours. Love those times!

      Delete
  3. Hooray for a hedge fort! This reminds me of my own childhood when my father used to prune our similar hedge back - my brother and I had a blast with the cuttings! Looks like a productive week for you there. Wildly jealous of the apple haul, we only planted out trees last year so each produced 4 apples this year which turned out to be just enough to stew and wrap inside pancakes.
    Beautiful mushroom photo, lovely stuff ( give my love to the trolls - any lovers tiffs yet?)

    Thanks for joining in again x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't take any credit for the apple trees, they were here when we moved in! I like to imagine that they were planted by the nice older couple two owners back. The last owner was a mean man and so I tend to think that not much good garden stuff came from him! Productive week indeed, but ready to play more! No lovers tiffs that I know of yet but it's early days yet!

      Delete
  4. So much work.. Bring back the trolls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love my hedgetrimmer, but yes! My sentiments exactly! I just want to plaaaayyyy. (I did play in the fort too so I can't really complain!)

      Delete
  5. Love the hedge fort, what amazing fun! Back in Edinburgh we had a hedge like yours, it was an ongoing battle :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally. We need scaffolding to keep on top of it! At least it's ours and we cna keep it relatively low. In our old house the hedge didn't belong to us and it was so overbearing. We don't want to be those kinds of neighbours!

      Delete
  6. Brilliant hedge fort! Always great to see everyone out there getting involved & nice apple haul :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. what creative and clever children you have, i too have a massive hedge and there really is something about getting that power tool out and sweeping over the bushes carving it to bits. what are you doing with your apples ?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very brave of you taking a photo underneath a man with a powertool! That is one monster of a hedge, looks like the kids had fun making a shelter though. And bedtime stories in the dark must have been awesome! Hope you're making an apple pie or crumble with the apples - with cream obvs. Are the trolls on sabbatical or having a booze-up?

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is always so much to do this time of year isn't there, but it's great to get it done before winter. I love their hedge fort and especially the bedtime stories in it in the dark - the trolls will be jealous, not to have been invited.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!