Thursday, 4 July 2013

How Does Your Garden Grow?

Last weekend, we spent a sunny afternoon at the in-laws.
Previously visited here:
and here:
I was encouraged to snoop round the garden to take pictures.
It was a lovely half hour, mostly to myself; quietly poking about.
This top picture tells you a lot about their gardening philosophy.
My father in law protecting the flowers and plants that grow on the DRIVEWAY, from CARS.
I love that prioritisation. 
They also cordon off patches of grass for the daisies and wildflowers.

And the story of the cone?
His son got it for him after a night out many years ago.
Apparently, Handy Hubby was merely an accomplice to this theft.
That's what he says anyway:-)
I'm appalled.  I have never stolen a traffic cone whilst slightly tipsy.
But I too may have been an accomplice...
(I may have been dancing around the pretend fire.)

Anyway, let us indulge...








Blue Sky backdrops!  
(No editing or photo tweaking in any of these shots.)








Gently breezy









I love these guys. They are just begging for some googly eyes!







Watching the tadpoles and newts.


I love it when they stretch and the pink flowers come out.

And have a snoop round mine too if you like:
We had a visitor in the garden that jumped out at me when I was maintaining the mud cafe zone.
He was cute, but it totally damages my rep with the kids when it jumps out and makes me squeal.
I wish they came with a warning system.

Our beans.

How do I know when they are ready?
They are supposed to be broad beans I think...

For size.
Is it ready?
(I find this image of my hand/thumb very disturbing.  Just pretend you didn't notice ok?)
What's with these foam patches on the plants?
I had always assumed they were some sort of snail residue, but thinking about it; how could a slender lavender stem hold the weight of a snail?

After school snack.
Poor lady has been there a few months now.

A more permanent sign has been erected at the SECRET MEETING ZONE.
I fear our after hours party plans have been detected.

Kids wrote the sign and I obligingly burned it onto the pallet plank for them.


London Pride from a friend, waiting to be planted in.
What a great name.  I hadn't heard of it before.

Passion Flower tendril.
Awaiting plantage.
Fingers crossed it grows like a maniac.
I tried and failed the last time.
Our first garden had some growing already and it was hardy, strong and out of this world.

The daisy like alpines are awake.

Mammasaurus - How Does Your Garden Grow?

10 comments:

  1. LOVE the cone story!

    Wow - so many beautiful shots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That picture of the cone and the flowers is strangely alluring! Great photos, the colours look amazing against such a blue sky!

    ReplyDelete
  3. fabulous pictures, I did have a chuckle at the traffic cone story. I know I've done this, I once wore one home on my head - argh. So many beautiful plants, I love the honesty plant and I'm seriously impressed by the size of your beans x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Relieved to know that we are not alone in our traffic cone "confessions":-)

      Delete
  4. Lovely pictures! The Sambucus and Astrantia in particular look really pretty and so many houseleek! Can you ever have too many houseleek? I don't think so!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No. You can never have too many houseleeks!

      Delete
  5. Beautiful photos! FYI what you thought was snail residue is actually lavender snot. You're welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha, Ive been an accomplice too! Many many moons ago now! Gorgeous photos, love that your FIL protects his flowers that way x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhhh the good ol' traffic cone days eh? :-)

      Delete
  7. I have been scrolling up and down and then up and down again on these photos - they are just awesome. I can't actually find the words to describe how much I love them, but if I had to give it a sound it would be - WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

    Love the traffic cone tale and I am always happy to see succulents. This is a thing of great beauty and thank you SO much for sharing x

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!