Friday, 3 May 2013

Checking out the Fly-Bys

We have a crazy bird-chasing dog, but I still wanted to try making bird feeders with the kids.
I saw this idea for bird feeders here:
and thought that this would be perfect for the littles.
They loved this part SOOOOO much.  
It was rather messy.
Un-wipeable messy.
But fun.
Roll it, roll it.


"Can I eat this?"


Searching in the garden for evidence of birds.
I think this one comes from either Mr. or Mrs. Pigeon or "The Other Pigeon Lady"
We've got a whole soap opera thing going on about the pigeons that live in the hedge.
I'm pretty sure Mr. Pigeon is leading a double life.
Maybe this ruffled Mrs.Pigeon's feathers a bit.


Ready for action.
A wary visitor.


It's supposed to be a bunny shape.
                                      We also made cookie cutter bird feeders using this recipe:
                             http://prudentbaby.com/2012/04/baby-kid/cookie-cutter-bird-feeder/
                             But they did not go so well.  Maybe finer seed would be better.
Umbrella shaped.
Most of the others fell apart.

Now, I never thought that I would be into bird watching, but it gets addictive.  It took a while for the birds to come, probably because they know about the dog that lives here.
But they did.
Pigeons, Blackbirds, Robins and Great Tits so far.
I like to sound like I know what I'm talking about there. But really I don't.
Hence, the reference books!

Robin


Of course the pigeons aren't fussy and they like eating the loose seed that we placed in the tree bowl.  I think that they are too heavy for the golf tee rests!

I'm loving Nina's bird shots at Tabiboo:
Maybe when our friends get a bit braver, I'll venture to the other side of the window to try to get some better shots!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me!