Sunday, 7 April 2013

The Silence of the Lambs

Handy Hubby tends to complain if there is too long of a silence on Randomnest.  He likes a daily fix, an excuse to sip his coffee a bit longer in the mornings.  He's my number one fan:-)  He particularly likes posts that are a bit more ranting, rude or controversial, so I was having a giggle to myself last night thinking about what his reaction would be to a post about frolicking lambs after the blogging silence of a couple of days.

Then of course, I put those two words together, and mused about The Silence of the Lambs, and how lambs are so sweet and lovely, that nothing morbid/horrific or unpleasant should be connected with them.
But I kind of lied, 
or avoided the reality in yesterday's post.
On our lovely, sunny walk through the fields, we saw:

A claw.
An egg shell.
A bone.
Two severed legs of lambs that I shall not picture here.
Lots of poop.
Engorged udders.
Poo and Pee stained woolly bits.
See cute little lamb, lying next too a poop. 
But he's not bothered.

Yesterday, I edited this down to crop out the poop in line with his nose.
Doody Butts
You can't see it here, but quite a few of these mama's udders were huge and stretched.  
Nearly dragging on the ground.
I felt for them.
Without even a supportive nursing bra to help...

Add to that, those cute little lambs going "baa, baa, baa" actually sounded like "Ma, Ma, Ma" to me.
Demanding constant milk from their mamas.
Reminded me of this:

And the Mama always brings it.

I don't know what my point is exactly except:
1) I don't think that I would make a very good farmer having to deal with the foxes and other tragedies and gross stuff  that occurs.
Respect to Farmers.
However...
2) It doesn't seem that far off from people mother/baby love.  There is always be an abundance of poo and wee and gross stuff, and our coats might get filthy, our udders/boobies may get full and painful during the newborn stages, our kids can be super-demanding; but we love them, try to look beyond the icky bits and see their cuteness all the same.
3) And also, how easy it is to "gloss over" the less favorable bits of life to produce "fluffy lamb/kid" pictures.


1 comment:

  1. Aw, I love that your man is your biggest fan!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!