Tuesday, 2 April 2013

Pixelated Portraits

My friend made an awesome pixelated self-portrait back in high school.
I've been in the mood for playing with paint, so I decided that I wanted to do some with the kids.
I thought this would be a great activity for them to learn about colour mixing, but it ended up being slightly more complex than I thought it would be.  So I took over and had a blast, but I might make some simpler versions for the kids to do one day.




What I did:
Took pictures of the kids using the Pixl app.
Adjusted the shapes to squares (keeping it simple on the first go, but you can use circles within squares etc)
Adjusted colours (trying to keep as few as possible)
Sent pics to my email so that I could then print them off.
Transferred matching grid to canvases.
Square by square mixed up matching colours (sooo much fun)
Thought that it wasn't going to work
Surprised that you can actually see that they are people, and pretty much make out who is who.
Of course, they are not perfect.  Especially not up close.  I think I should have used oils rather than acrylics.
But it was fun.
And I like that up close they don't look like anything, but far back you can see an image.
Reminds me of a certain film...
            

3 comments:

  1. Well done you - they look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm pleased with how they turned out!

      Delete
  2. they look fantastic!!....you should do more, maybe try oils?
    potraits are my favourites.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!