Tuesday, 23 April 2013

Oliver Jeffers is Cool.

We've had a couple of Oliver Jeffer's books on the shelf for a few years now, but they never got too much attention until my youngest fell in love with Lost and Found.  His adoration was enhanced when a friend gave him the movie for Christmas.  Love it.  But I'll save that one for another post.
Anyway, we found This Moose Belongs to Me at the library, and we renewed it and renewed it and renewed it some more.  I guess you could say that we wanted to believe that "This Book Belonged to Us."
Check it out:


I don't know what to say, I could use a lot of words like style, casual approach, rich mountain painting in the background, quirky, but I can't quite put my finger on what it is that attracts us so much.  Simplicity?
Anyway, here's what we did for our "final good-bye" before we returned the book for someone else to enjoy:
Simple bits gathered together in 5 min.
Apart from the moose. 
(He was imported especially from Barefoot Books that for some reason I want to boycott; but don't.)
He was only little and can be used for other books like If You Give a Moose a Muffin.
(Shout out to my sister there who introduced us to that one!)
Wilfred claims the moose by putting a label on his antlers.
Some other people think the moose belongs to them too and steals Marcel's attention by offering him apples.
Marcel totally chowed down on this one.  When we were finished the re-enactments; we did too.

Wilfred gets all tangled up in the string that he used to mark his way back home.
Those blocks are the mountains, nk?

We took turns laying out trails for each other to follow.
This is probably very good for kids learning in a few different areas, but I'm not writing up lesson plans here, so I'm just saying.
There is probably some good learning going on here as well as fun.
We made trails on paper to show journeys.  Glue in yarn and pencils and crayons.
My three year old is only just beginning to take more interest in "mark-making" so I'm pretty excited about this.
In one of the scenes in the book, Wilfred puts his records on and Marcel the Moose respectfully stands by quietly and lets him enjoy the music.


Such a rad toy that has stood the test of time.
FYI: That hazy sun effect is natural.  SUN. IN THE HOUSE=  Happy Days.
(More on sun worshipping later I'm sure.)
My little man likes to watch this video:

Oliver Jeffers Author Film 2013 from Oliver Jeffers on Vimeo.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like a lovely book. Its great when you find a book that the kids really really love isnt it. I love the photo of the kids enjoying the retro toy. How cool is that!

    And at last, we have some sun! Ive been in the garden for two days on the trot. The house looks a mess, but my garden is nice & tidy. I love the warm weather x

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!