Wednesday, 27 February 2013

What's Going On?

Last week I shared some of our story time activities with you: http://katie-randomnest.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/storytime-with-pizazz.html
But I must confess, the book Are You My Mother? never sat well with me.  And I think I've figured out why and created my own version from what goes on in my head when I read this story. I'm finally able to articulate my issues that I had with this book from day one when I was a little nipper.
(rest assured, we found our baby bird safe and well and on a most excellent journey.)
Ok. What?! The baby is about to come out and she decides to go off grocery shopping?!  That sounds kind of irresponsible to me.
But then reading this as a grown up, I am aware of the crazy things a woman in labour can insist on doing.  First time round, I was determined to go to the garden centre and plant things in the garden during contractions.  Why Not?
But then my baby was tucked up in my womb and not resting in a nest high up in a tree.
And as you may know from the story, that poor baby bird hatches and then decides to go off and find his mother, falling with a PLOP on the ground from the nest.  
If this story was real, it most likely would have ended there.
But he picks himself and goes off to find his mother.
He asks a kitten who just looks at him.
HOW RUDE!
At least respond.
Or for realistic purposes, chase the bird.  It is a plaything.
But this is what I would prefer to happen on this page:
"Meow.  No dude.  I'm not your mother, but you can hang out with me and we could be friends.  You know, like Tom and Jerry."
And then he asks the hen who just says "No."  
How about "No, I'm not your mother, but let me help you find her."?
And when he asks the dog, the dog responds:
"I am not your mother.  I am a dog."
So What?
What has that got to do with anything now-a-days? 
And the Cow?!
Ok, perhaps they can't be that baby bird's biological mother, but even that is probably possible now, but haven't they ever heard of adoptive mothers?!
What I want the cow and the dog to say:
"I am not your mother.  Let's try and find her together and I will look after you in the meantime.  A little bird like you should not be out on their own.  And if we can't find her, I will look after you and love you forever more."
 Ok, now this bit is scary, but hopefully the best for the baby bird, because if anyone actually touched that baby, we know that the Mama wouldn't recognize him as her own and then possibly reject him.
Which sucks that this happens in real life.
But all is ok, and the mother comes back and recognizes her baby and brings home a worm for dinner.
But.
There is something missing.
And it's the best part.
That baby bird is going to PEEP PEEP PEEP PEEP at her with it's mouth wide open, demanding, demanding, whinging, whining, SHOUTING for food.
And she accepts this greeting with love.
But we know that she is not going to just let the baby bird have that worm whole.
First, she is going to eat it herself and then she is going to regurgitate it into the baby bird's mouth.
How gross and awesome and loving is that?!











1 comment:

  1. Katie, your version rocks. I have never analyzed it to this degree though I too felt somethings were wrong. And indeed the most gross and awesome and loving thing ever. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!